Wednesday 9 November 2005

Marriage

Rynetta was disturbed. Her mother's words made her fumble on her decision. Infront of her stood a glass plane. Behind the glass plane sat her boyfriend. She could only communicate with Russell using the phone. The glass plane felt like a seperator between Rynetta and Russell.

"Mummy, where's Daddy? Why is it that I have never seen him before?" Since young, Rynetta was told by her mother that her father had died when Rynetta was only a baby. Rynetta was brought up by her mother and no one else. Maybe also by her grandmother but only occassionally when either Rynetta or her mother fell ill. Rynetta kept convincing herself that she was far more luckier than those orphans to have a mother who loved her dearly. However, reality was cruel. Images of her friends playing with their fathers made her heart sank.

A complete family was all that Rynetta asked for. She promised herself that she would marry a rich man in the future, in order to provide her mother with good life.

"I will marry a millionaire! I will get my future husband to buy a gigantic castle for mummy to stay in, for mummy to be the beautiful queen, and for me to be the cute little princess!" Mrs. Leong's heart ached whenever she heard those words coming out from her precious daughter's mouth. For years, she blamed herself for giving Rynetta a hard life. If only I chose the right man, she though to herself, Rynetta would have had a complete family.

In reality, Mrs. Leong was not a widow. Her husband was well alive. She secretly paid visits to Mr. Leong, only when Rynetta was in school or out on a vacation or excursion. She did not want to break her daughter's heart or reputation any further. Yet, sooner or later, she still had to. Mrs. Leong just did not expect it to be so soon.

"Why can't I be with him?! There is true love between me and Russell and you know that! He often visited you and you were fond of him! You were the one who told me you want him to be you son-in-law in the future! Why is it now that he's gone to jail you tell me you can't accept him? It was because of me! I was the one who caused him to end up in jail! He was just protecting me!" Rynetta just could not understand why her mother hated Russell overnight. All she asked for was a complete family and a perfect marriage, something Russell could give her. Had they not been threatened at gun point, Russell would not have killed the robber. He was just trying to protect Rynetta. Injustice, Rynetta thought, there was not any justice in the judge.

"Your father was an ex-convict! Back then my thinkings were same as yours! I thought I've found the right man and that your father would change for the better once he was released! We got married and I got pregnant. Much to my disappointment, he could not take the way people called him a jailbird and started drinking and taking drugs. He got so drunk and high and he killed anyone in his way. He ended up in jail again when I was still pregnant with you!" Those words left a great impact in Rynetta's heart. All the while she thought her father had been dead. Mrs. Leong didn't mean to hurt Rynetta but she just did not want Rynetta to go through the same things she suffered. Just you wait, Rynetta thought, we'll get married to prove you wrong.

Rynetta stared into the glass plane thinking of what her mother's words. Russell stared into her eyes as if expecting something from her. Rynetta knew she could not hesitate any further because if she does, she would be prone to changing her decision. Rynetta sigh heavily in preparation.

"Let's get married once you're out. It's only a matter of weeks. We'll prove my mother wrong. I have faith in you. Don't let me down."



The above passage is purely fiction and not depicted from anyone's life. Any resemblance is greatly regreted. I used my name because I was so desperate I couldn't think of any other name. "Russell" was because one of the names I want my future children to have is "Russell Anderson".



farking off~RYNETTA

No comments: