Thursday 24 January 2008

ALOHA!

It's been a while ya? Heh. OK I'M SORRY I know I've been MIA for too long. For a week (since last Tuesday) I've been coming home after midnight. So I suppose I'll start from last Tuesday!



TUESDAY 15/01

I decided to take a walk down to East Coast Park (can you believe it was my first time since I got back?) for dinner at my old work place, in other words, my uncle's restaurant (J K DON). It was pouring 30 minutes before I left my house so I was a little reluctant n the first place. But the rain did evantually stop and I regretted not taking the Olympus out with me becauseLOOK AT THE SCENERY! Oh my gosh. Regrets regrets none. Haha. My olympus took better pictures. But if I had a canon 400d it'll be more than a million times better.

I see the town planner of Marine Cove got a little lazy. Christmas tree with Chinese New Year (CNY) decoratives. Hah creative? Not.

The restaurant didn't change much.Except for a few new chefs and different waiters. I actually went all the way there to meet Ah Niu but he obviously wasn't there so another time I suppose.

I still had my dinner there, of course 'cos there were a few other people there I know. Like Ah Wei (another chef) and another waiter I dunno his name but my parents and I know him lol.Shishamo with pretty flower and bibimbab (beef) in stone bowl. I thought the coat of...bread crumbs mixture around the shishamo was too thick. Covered the taste of shishamo totally. Thumbs down. And as for the bibimbab? Two thumbs up! Their bibimbab is still the best I've tried thus far. I've tried a few in Australia and in Singapore and this one's still the best. Not everything in this place is nice, though. Only certain dishes.

So I happily left the restaurant (without paying 'cos the waiter refused to let me pay, so much for being the boss' niece) and almost immediately I received a message from Hong Yong saying a few of them from Terra are meeting for bowling that night. My first time out with my ex-colleagues from Terra! Yay! So I quickly ran over to The Coffee Bean at ECP and bought a small cup of cinnamon ice blended (my current fav) and walked back to the bus stop near my place.

Bus 12 didn't come for about 20 minutes and I decided to ask Mummy if she has anything to do. It turned out that Mummy was dead bored at home so she decided to drive me down to Kembangan MRT lol. Mummy should get a job. Yes.

So I met Hong Yong outside Terra Cafe at around 9pm and when Edwin and Jason knocked off, we took the MRT to Marina Bay. Took a bus down to the steamboat area only to find that whole place closed and we went all the way back to Marina Bay station and took another MRT down to City Hall. But Edwin decided to go home 'cos he had to start work early the next day.

So we went Marina Square (so much for arguing with Edwin it's Marina Square, not Marina Bay, that has a bowling alley) and played bowling. I did, too. I obviously didn't do too well haha but it was still fun.

After two games, we had nothing to do so we just walked around the outside of Marina Square.Somehow Hong Yong decided to play basketball at Jason's place. So we cabbed down 'cos it was way past midnight and there were no buses or MRT.

Ok, this is a random picture haha but we also played badminton for a while before they felt hungry and walked over to Geyland for some Mian Fen Gao (can anyone tell me what that is?). I walked with them to Geylang before I took a cab back home.



WEDNESDAY 16/01

Sherry's birthday! Haha I met her at Outram Park MRT station before going down to Jurong East with her, then taking a bus down to Singapore Science Centre for our Mummy movie and exhibit.

THE OMNI THEATRE WAS STILL AS COOL AS WHEN I FIRST WENT WITH MY PARENTS ON THEIR OPENING! So rooouuund and biiiiig! The resolution of the screen is just average (but better than your average CDs you watch at home) and the speaker average as well but the effect of the roundness and almost-never-ending wideness of the screen makes the whole thing look so grand! Really like as though you're part of what they're showing.

After the movie both of us were hungry so we decided to pop by McDonald's (after nearly a year for me!) for some twister fries!Yuuuuum. I had one large one. Enough to make me feel full due to the amount of oil. Yep, you've guessed it, I'm super not a fan of deep fried stuff with certain exceptions like this twister fries. ^^

We then moved on to the Mummy exhibits.I took lotsa pictures but too many to place them all here. Shall just put this Mummy here to prove to you I did go look at the exhibits lol.

After walking around the exhibits for about two times, and going to two different weird shops, we left the place. Only when we left then did we decide to take this.Lol. Funny huh. But this was what greeted us when we first entered the place. Nice hey!

Next up we went down to Vivocity for a movie. We watched Darjeeling Limited. Interesting plot, although I wasn't very supportive of their "religious beliefs" in the movie lol but it was still a movie. I love the tall and skinny guy. So cute! Movie was not bad although not the best.

After the movie we took a train back to Bugis and happily walked over to Indulgz but GUESS WHAT. THIS TIME IT'S FULL HOUSE. LIKE WTHECK. FIRST YOU DON'T ANNOUNCE ON YOUR WEBSITE THAT YOU'RE CLOSED FOR ANOTHER DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS THEN YOU DON'T ADVICE RESERVING ON YOUR WEBSTE WHEN YOU KNOW YOUR RESTAURANT'S GONNA BE FULL?! WTHECK LA YOU'VE GOT LOUSY MANAGEMENT AND THE NEXT TIME I DECIDE TO GO DOWN I'M GONNA BOOK YOU GUYS UPSIDE DOWN! Idiots.

So we dragged our feet back to Bugis and I brought Sherry to my previous (and latest) work place for dinner. Terra Cafe. Sherry ordered fish fillet baked rice while I ordered seafood aglio olio. Both sets. I also had a cup of watermelon crush.Tahdah! It's not just watermelon ice blended. There's this extra taste in it I just don't know how to explain.

Our soups. Pumpkin soup. Not bad! Wasn't as sweet as I thought it would turn out to be (thank goodness).

Sherry's baked rice. She nearly couldn't finish lol.

My second time having their aglio olio but this time with seafood. I'm still loving it.

Our ice creams. You should see how stuffed we were at the end. Lol. We also walked around a little before Sherry went home to celebrate the remaining of her birthday with her family. I really hope she had a great time and thank goodness she didn't fall. Haha.



THURSDAY 17/01

Mummy and I met Aunt Siew Luan and Aunt Siew Khim at City Hall for lunch. We lunched at O'Brien's!Aunt Siew Khim's triple decker I-dunno-what was the biggest haha. Aunt Siew Luan had the same thing except that she changed her bread to a wrap so hers didn't turn out too big as compared to Aunt Siew Khim's.

Mummy's tandoori chicken wrap.

My spicy chinese chicken wrap. Overall I'd say the food was not bad-average. The same stuff I usually get in Australia. Their marination for their chicken was good. At least for mine and Mummy's that is haha. Their chips were damn good! But then again I haven't had chips in months. Haha.

After lunch we moved over to Gloria Jean's at Raffles City. COFFEE!!!!! Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah. Coffee addict == De Xin. *drools*

Mummy's cappucino.

My green tea chiller as usual! Haha ok, I know, I didn't get coffee but since I still can get their green tea chiller here (it's faced out in Australia already) I might as well keep drinking it to my heart's content before I fly back!

Left: Aunt Siew Luan's tea. Right: Aunt Siew Khim's vanilla latte.

I did my food critics (I only filled up two entries lol) while the three of them talked about...I can't remember lol. But I know their drinks were not hot enough, the tea was crap (you gotta admit Gloria Jean's is good for their coffee) and Aunt Siew Khim's latte was too sweet. Funny how these don't happen in Australia hey.

After bumming around for quite some time, Aunt Siew Khim left for work (As a private tutor. Sorry, Sherry, I gave you wrong info lol.), Aunt Siew Luan followed us to Bugis for her work, Mummy and I walked around Bugis for a while (and got myself a ballerina charm bracelet) before moving on to some place near Bugis for Mummy to get some CNY stuff. I took a damn good picture of her choosing sea cucumbers there! Using Daddy's olympus, of course.

When Mummy was done, I went to take the MRT back to city hall (ridiculous right) to meet the Perth people 'cos Sarah Hargreave's in Singapore. Walked over to the Merlion to meet them. I aslo took a damn good photo of the Merlion (Daddy thought it was ok only, idiot) there with the olympus. Happy happy!

We bought tickets for the boat ride along Singapore river.The ride was quite...normal. Haha. Not exactly very exciting but it was a first time for me and it felt different looking at the CBD area from the river, instead of looking at the river from the CBD area.

We got off at Clark Quay and walked around a little before we went down to Orchard area where we wanted to watch Cloverfield but in the end didn't. Walkted around Cineleisure as well then we went to Paragon. Chilled around at Starbucks (I'm so not stepping in there ever again). I had raspberry cream. Nope, no coffee.

When the sky turned dark, we went over to Plaza Singapura area for dinner. A place called 5 star chicken rice.Chicken was not bad (still the one in KL was better by a lot). Greatgrandma could make better ngoh hiang (in other words Mummy and Grandma can also do better). The kang kong was the bomb. The black bean chilli sauce was damn super addictive. After everyone finished the kang kong I was still there happily scooping the sauce to eat. Yep, just like that. Dumpling soup was ok.

After dinner everyone decided to go home for a shower first then see if we wanted to go Joshua Lau's place for games. Very obviously everyone just knocked out once they reached home.



FRIDAY 18/01

Meet the same Perth people at Vivocity at 11am. Everyone was late. Lunched at Food Republic. Decided to try their bibimbab but, as I expected, it tasted like crap, compared to J K Don's. But still edible.I cannot believe they cooked the egg. Wtheck.

Some people took the cable car down to Sentosa. The rest of us went to take the monorail. It's free! Only had to pay S$3 for entrance! Was it S$3?

Met the rest at Siloso Beach. Apparently they left for the cable car earlier than us but it took them longer to reach where we agreed to meet; Luge. They walked quite far from the cable car station to meet us at the Luge. Haha.

So all of us decided to try the Luge.THE SKYRIDE UP WAS DAMN FUN! AGAIN AGAIN! The Luge down was not bad too haha I went quite slow, though, at turnings. Other than that I just sped down. But still slower than the rest, no surprise.

We also went for Underwater World. There were two large tanks (and a few small ones) for you to touch the living things in the tanks and I only touched the stingrays at the second tank. I pitied the fishes at the first tank. They looked so traumatized!

At the Underwater World itself I was oooh-ing and aaah-ing at every single shark I saw. There was one very weird one that I loved. Only one but enough to make me very fascinated. I guess if I meet one shark in real life in the sea I won't be reacting the same way.

Our next stop was the dolphin lagoon and we had a long time before the show started so we walked around Siloso beach a little. Went over to Sentosa Island and...HAHA! Funny. But after they all got down, Kenneth (Eunice's colleage in Perth) decided to WALK to the end of the tree.His legs were literally jelly when he was at the end lol. Reminds me of one of the cereal ads in Perth. Some "balance" thingy. Lol.

Pretty pretty view! We also climbed some rocks to take a picture and I tore some skin and now there's still a blue-black there and a pretty obvious scar. Haha.

So time was up and Kenneth and Eunice left (Eunice had to go for cell and Kenneth somehow threw away his tickets so he decided to accompany Eunice) while the rest of us walked back to the Dolphin Lagoon.THE DOLPHINS WERE DAMN CUTE! LOVE LOVE! If we still lived in a place with kampongs, and if Greatgrandma was still around, I'd definitely ask her to keep one or two dolphins as pets. Hehe.

Walking back to the monorail (and cable car for some), some of us stopped to take a picture.Beautiful clouds. Faith was exclaiming how I should have brought the olympus to Sentosa hahaha. HEAVY! NO!

Everyone dispersed at Vivocity. I was left with Jeremy so we had dinner at Vivocity. Where? Superdog.Jeremy's hot dog and fries. And. Drink? Ya I think so.

My chilli cheese fries! Their fries were good but I was quite upset with the fact that THE CHEESE WASN'T MELTED! I could do better with the beef stuff too. But ok la. The fries made things better.

When we were done, I was quite upset with the indecisiveness of some people (no names) and decided not to join them for Clinic and so I charged home. But on the way home Max offered to drive me down to Clinic and so I decided to join them.

I tell you it was definitely a good experience there!Their "shots". Like literally for both contexts. Alcoholic shots and syringe shots combined into one. Shots. Haha! Tasted AWESOME!

Joshua Lau and a blur Sarah Hargreave.

My apple martini! "Sexaye!" Was what Sarah Hargreve said lol. My first and I loved it. Funny how Mark was damn worried I'd get drunk, asking me not to eat the cherry at the bottom (ended up eating half of mine and one whole one from Faith's drink), at first not allowing me to try the shots (ended up trying a little bit before he took the rest away from me) and drinking a lot of that drink from the blood bag.

Obviously I didn't get drunk haha. It was daaamn shiok. I of course feel damn carefree now la but once I start driving in Singapore. Crap. Limited drinking. Argh.

After Clinic, we went to Vivocity (like, again) for Cloverfield. Faith left us 'cos her mum wanted her to go back and she didn't want to watch that movie either. I loved the movie. A lot. Probably because it was my first time watching that kinda movie (in a video-cam view) and it only took me one sleep to get over the gruesome-ness. There was a damn bloody part. You don't actually get to see the blood at that part but it was really gory. No spoilers.

After the movie everyone left. Max sent me home again haha. Thank you!


Been trying to take a picture of this since Superdog but didn't manage to so I took it again before I went to sleep. I look like I went clubbing! Or maybe not haha!



Time for critics as promised!

Restaurant: J K Don
Location:
Marine Cove, East Coast Park. Shaw Centre. Telok Kurau (near Lor L). One more at Upper Thompson area but not too sure where exactly.
Beverages: Limited. Just the basics like lime juice, green tea (cold/hot), soft drinks and so on.
Appetizers: Wide variety. Typical types.
Entree: Not all are nice. Bibimbab beef highly recommended. Ask for other recommendations (like their spicy chicken ramen). Sushis and raw stuffs are average. DON'T try their cha soba.
Dessert: Super limited. Probably ice cream only.
Other:
Atmosphere: Small and cozy. A very family place. Don't expect a high-class restaurant.
Service: Depends. Your average small restaurant/cafe service. Better than Delifrance Parkway.
Notes:
Overall Rating: 6/10. Worth the try for the certain dishes.


Restaurant: Terra Cafe
Location: Bugis (at the corner opposite Adidas and Bossini) first level. Vivocity (near Golden Village) second level.
Beverages: Wide variety but not all are your average drinks. Terra black coffee highly recommended. Be daring and you'll be surprised.
Appetizers: Limited. Wedges, baked potatoes, fried mushrooms, baked mushrooms and a few others.
Entree: Mostly set meals. Their non-set meals are of super small servings. However their food are of definite quality. Recommended are seafood aglio olio, baked rice (chicken/fish fillet/smoked salmon), lasagna, shepherd's pie. They also serve Asian dishes.
Dessert: Limited. Tiramisu, fried apple fritters, creme brulee, ice cream and a few others.
Other: Bruschetta and sandwiches served too. Looked appetizing.
Atmosphere: Although area is big enough, it's still quite cramped. Probably should lower down the music volume. Pretty well decorated for a smalle cafe in the corner. Bigger and better than J K Don.
Service: Average. More smiles needed. While I was working there I still attempted to smile all the while despite the trauma and stress. Probably a better management is needed instead. No blames on waiters/waitresses.
Notes:
Overall Rating:
7.5/10. Not bad!


Restaurant: O'Brien's
Location:
City Link (opposite Coffee & Toast). The Central. Probably more.
Beverages: Mainly coffee and smoothies only. Limited as well.
Appetizers:
Entree:
Dessert:
Other:
Mainly sandwiches and wraps served. Quite a wide variety. Better than Subway, but not sure about the health bit. Not saying it's not healthy but Subway emphasises on the health bit more.
Atmosphere: Depends. The branch I was at was a small little cafe in the corner of City Link just opposite Coffee & Toast. Passable.
Service: Average.
Notes:
Overall Rating:
6.5/10. A must try for Subway lovers.


Restaurant: 5 Star Chicken Rice
Location: Throughout Singapore.
Beverages: Soft drinks, lime juice, barley, probably coffee. Very limited.
Appetizers:
Entree:
Chicken was average. Have tried better. Other dishes average as well. Kang kong is a must try.
Dessert:
Other:
Atmosphere:
Your average coffeeshop atmosphere.
Service: Average coffeeshop service.
Notes:
Overall Rating:
5/10.


Restaurant: Food Republic.
Location:
Vivocity and other shopping centres.
Beverages: Mainly soft drinks, coffee and normal drinks you see at other food courts.
Appetizers:
Entree:
Many to choose from but not all are of standard.
Dessert: Depends on which branch.
Other:
Atmosphere:
Different from the usual Food Republic you go to.
Service: Depends on stall.
Notes:
Overall Rating:
5/10. The decor saved it all. Definitely not worth the try.


Restaurant: Superdog.
Location:
Vivocity basement, to the right of MRT exit.
Beverages: Limited. Coffee, milkshakes, soft drinks.
Appetizers: Fries, Chilli Cheese Fries and others.
Entree:
Dessert:
Other:
Hot dogs, burgers. Jeremy, was your hot dog nice?
Atmosphere: Average fast food chain.
Service: Average fast food service.
Notes: They should melt their cheese!!!!!
Overall Rating: 5.5/10. Ok la.


Restaurant: Clinic
Beverages:
Mainly aloholic drinks. Mocktails and soft drinks served as well.
Appetizers: Fries, teriyaki chicken bun, calamaris.
Entree:
Dessert:
Other:
Atmosphere:
Very unique. Seats are hospital beds/wheelchairs. Refer to post.
Service: Good!
Notes: Teriyaki chicken buns are a MUST TRY!
Overall Rating:
9/10. MUST GO!



So that was last week, minus the weekends. I'll continue blogging again. Oh my, that was long. And I'm still having a headache for the second day. But it's just a mild headache. Have had worse.



signing off~DE XIN

No comments: