Friday 21 December 2007

CAR(Z?).

I just got driven home in a Mercedes Benz and I realised it's been a really long while since I actually sat in one. Let's minus the fact that I've actually sat in a Merc taxi about two and a half years ago. Daddy used to own a Merc too. And despite that, I came to realise that I've never really had any issue with the cars Daddy drive. Except, of course, for the Opel that kept breaking down on us.

Daddy never bought high-end cars. Not to my knowledge or memory. The very first car I remember my parents driving was a white car (which I slammed my hands in one of its doors once and nope, it wasn't painful at all even though Mummy freaked out). I can't even remember what model/brand was it. I believe it to be a Japanese car. Probably Honda. Then came the Mercedes. It was a SBV starting. It was almost as old as me! That was the very first car I fell in love with because it was a very small C190. Very practical too. The car came with very comfy leather seats which could burn my butt when the temperature races through the roof.

While the C190 sits comfortably in the car porch, outside was Mummy's Opel. I can't even remember which model it was but I do remember it was a wagon car. Everytime we drove that car, I always asked if I could sit in the boot. Obviously I was never allowed to. That car was a manual car and it stalled very often. I remember Daddy trying to drive me to school once (Mummy took the C190 to work 'cos she didn't want to have a break down in the middle of the express way on the way to work.) and the car kept dying. It refused to travel pass two traffic lights smoothly. Not to mention that day was very very very hot AND humid and I was about to be late for school. Back then, being late for school, especially in primary school, was a humongously big thing. I can't remember what happened next but I know I never liked that car. I still don't. I don't even remember what happened to that car.

So one day Daddy's C190 started to constantly break down. We thought it ran out of battery/water/black oil. Nothing could solve the problem. We sent it to the mechanics and I never heard of it for a few days. I was then told that Daddy had to scrape the car 'cos 1) it was close to 10 years old (don't forget we Singaporeans have to scrap our cars once we reach the 10 years mark unless we have the money to spend on HIGHER taxes that are already very murderous) and 2) the air-con was about to explode any moment (or so they say).

The next two cars we got were Nissan VIP (Mummy's) and Nissan Sunny (Daddy's). Mummy loved her VIP 'cos it was very fuel efficient and it wasn't too big a car. But I didn't have any feelings at all for that car. Not that I had to, but I just didn't feel the same for it like how I did for the C190. I didn't like how it came in a different colour, I didn't like how it came in a different shape, I just didn't like how it's a total different car. Mummy eventually sold it to my aunt (Daddy's sister) 'cos she stopped working at Sin Sin Food (Grandpa's company located all the way at Jurong which was sold to Heinz and is now called Heinz Sin Sin).

What about the Nissan Sunny? I've grown used to it. It's been 4 years? Yep, 4 years. Daddy doesn't really like it. Reason: not fuel efficient. I remember getting into a heated argument with Daddy about why he keeps complaining about the fuel inefficiency of the car and does nothing about it. To me, if you want to complain about something, you've got to do something to whatever you're complaining about. His explaination: cars are not cheap and it'll cost more to change a car. In the short run, yes. Long run? Definitely not.

Daddy has never owned a high-end car. My parents have joked about getting cars like Merc e-class (my favourite among the Merc cars), Nissan Cefiro, Rolceroyce and whatnots but I know they've never considered them. What surprised me was, I've never once complained to Daddy about the cars he drove. Words like "why do we drive such lousy cars?!" or "why can't you get a bigger and comfier car?!" never came out of my mouth. I admit I do enjoy the feeling when I sit in a high-end car but I've never thought of asking Daddy to get one. Okok, let's get to the point. I've never really seen the need for our family to own one.

I do dream of owning and driving big cars (especially BMW M6 huh) but...I don't know. Do my parents need any? Even if they could afford it, do they need it? The fact that they actually sold the Nissan VIP away and drove only one car just because Mummy no longer needs the car to drive to work shows that they wouldn't even consider getting a high-end car.

(Ok, I'm summing up, don't worry.) I've enjoyed car shopping with my parents. Discussing about cars that are fuel efficient and worthy of their price. I realised economical cars actually feel quite the same. The extra "feel" I experienced in high-end cars probably came from the extra stability (not necessary for not so rich people like my family) and probably the "name". And Daddy won't have to worry a thing. Because...

I'll still not ask him to buy high-end cars. 'Cos I know we don't need it. =)



signing off~DE XIN

No comments: