Tuesday 26 August 2008

=)


Was reading Sherry Love's blog and chanced upon this! Yes, that girl on top is supposed to look like me. Few of you know this but I do actually wear glasses. Most of the time I wear contact lens because glasses make it feel like something's in the way. But there are times (or rather, once in a blue moon) where I take my glasses out to wear. In fact, I have TWO pairs of glasses.

Some of you might have seen me wearing my white+red glasses lately but actually I have a really dark brown pair of glasses and that's my favourite pair of glasses. It's been with me for a good 4-5 years now and it's the most comfortable pair I've ever owned. It's kinda crooked at the moment and I'll definitely get it fixed when I get back in Singapore.

Oh and the only reasons I'd ever put on my glasses are:
1. My contact lens are not soaked for at least 4 hours.
2. I'm going to do something where contact lens are a danger (eg. swimming).
3. I'm just too lazy (which is VERY rare given that only happened once or maybe twice this year so now you know I wear my contact lens even when I'm at home the whole day and not going out).



For as long as I can remember, there was just my father and me.
Working nights often took its toll on poor Father.
I could never be angry with Father for long.
He knew just what to do to cheer me up.
As I grew older, getting what I wanted became less easy.
This was hard to understand, especially for a younger lady on her first date.
My father was a generous man beyond his means.
But the greatest gift he ever gave me was the gift of love.

Sherry Love showed me this video. It didn't bring tears to my eyes but it made me realise how thankful I am for having someone like Daddy in my life. Being an only child, it's only natural for anyone to think of me as a spoilt brat. I can't deny that. But one thing's for sure, I'm spoilt emotionally and physically, not materially.

I can say I grew up with Daddy. Mummy was most of the time out at work and Daddy was the house-husband.

  • He'd be the one forcing bread down my throat (not physically) while I lay around the sofa pretending I'm eating it.
  • He'd be the one who'd grudgingly play snakes and ladder with me over and OVER again while having the laundry at the back of his mind.
  • He'd be the one playing badminton with me, catching his breath, while I rejoice at my winnings when in actual fact it's because he couldn't catch up with age.
  • He taught me how to ride the bicycle and then suffer weekends of cyclings up and down ECP, pretending to let me reach the end first even though his wheels were twice the size of mine.
  • He sat me down one afternoon at the dining table, with the calender in his arms saying, "Everyday someone bully you, you write down their names here. I'll go to school and beat them up." And being the worried me I never got down to doing it because I didn't want Daddy to get into trouble but I always smiled whenever I thought back at what he said because I realised how much Daddy loved me, to the point he'd say anything to cheer me up without processing the words first in his brain.
  • He never spoils me materially but when he sees what I need he makes sure he gets me the best. Like how I wanted that Canon Ixus 50 I own now when all he wanted to get me was the top quality compact camera and in the end had to buy another Canon 400D to satisfy my passion for photography. How spoilt can I get?
  • He'd be there in the corner of the webcam window waiting for Mummy to finish talking to me so that he'll get the chance to get on to just say a few sentence of kind, concerned words and then start picking on me. Just watching at him smile at me brings a smile to my face.
  • Even up till now, he'd do anything to get me out of bed when he thinks I sleep too much for my own good when I'm back in Singapore for holidays. When I mean anything, I mean literally (yes, literally) pulling me off my bed, watching me fall to the floor, start laughing, realising I'm faking my sleep and then start tickling me.
  • And just for the sake of my education, for his greatest wish (for me to graduate uni), he's still unofficially working up till now, watching the shares day in day out like as though shares is a new found addiction.

He didn't just do all these. He did much more. So much I don't know how to start thanking him. He's more than a Daddy to me. He's like a brother, an ideal boyfriend, a buddy, a punching bag, an ATM, a driver (although I can drive now). But nothing beats knowing he's the Daddy who loves me the most here on Earth.

I love you, Daddy. And I miss you badly.

ps. many thanks to Sherry Love for this post!


signing off~DE XIN

No comments: