Friday 5 September 2008

DADDY


You know, recently I suddenly remembered of once when I was still about Primary 2 (7-8 years old), Mummy was combing my hair so that she can tie it into a bun for ballet (June Lee was a bitch, I'm sorry). My hair was pretty messy so there were millions of knots here and there and Mummy got really impatient she started screaming and yanking my hair about with the comb. Being such a small kid back then (before I got into that really rebellious stage during my adolescence years), all I could do was cry 'cos, I mean, which 7/8 year old would care so much about how her hair looked?

Within seconds, I could hear super loud foot steps coming up the stairs, then Mummy's bedroom door slammed open and there Daddy was, like a super hero. I can't remember what his exact words were but I can still remember clearly how he screamed at the top of his lungs at Mummy for yanking my hair and screaming unreasonably.

I pitied Mummy, if you ask me, for having had to work so hard just to put food on the table (which means, save up money) and she had to pay the greatest opportunity cost any mother would have to pay; understand her child better.

But I was also then reminded of how great Daddy's love was for me. So great that even how his wife yanks his daughter's hair could hurt him that much to scream at his wife. It brings tears to my eyes and melts my heart.

Daddy may not be the tall, macho father most people love to have but hey, I love him that way. With his small physique he still protected me like as though my body was more important than his. And everytime his rough but firm hands hold on to mine, I felt so secure, like as though no devil could snatch me away from Daddy.

Everytime I see videos of kids riding on their fathers' backs like horse riding, I wonder why I never got to do that. But I realised Daddy didn't let me just bully him. He bullies back as well. Punching/kicking each other, biting each other, pulling/bending each others' fingers, snatching each others' food, irritating each other with rough skin. This can go on forever.

Love is a two way relationship. He makes me realise he spoils me not by letting me do anything to him but by doing things together. From playing to gardening to fixing things to dancing to singing to cooking to watching soccer BLAHBLAHBLAH.

With all that he's done for me, on his birthday, he deserves to be pampered by me. He's the most comfiest teddy bear I can ever find and I'd never want to replace a Daddy like him.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY!


signing off~DE XIN

No comments: