Monday 16 June 2008

DIM SUM NO DOLLY!

Mummy and I were listing places for lunch last night and at first we decided on Chi Restaurant (above Woolworth's in the city). Then as I went back to my studies, I realised I was having a craving for dim sum. Haven't had dim sum since end of last year! -disclaimer- shanghai xiao long bao not considered dim sum -end of disclaimer- Unbelievable. So we thought of a few dim sum restaurants and...decided to come back to this place! My second homestay family brought the whole homestay bunch and my parents and I to this place for lunch once when my parents came to visit. Was SO good I had to go back again.

Deep fried beancurd roll with dunnowhat sauce.

Pork ribs. I reckon there were too much cracked bones. Had to keep spitting them out. But the taste was still *twothumbsup*.

Char Siew Bao! So awesome I had to *push chopsticks away* use my hands. The bun was not too thick (some restaurants have their bun SO THICK and the char siew so pathetic) and it was nice and soft!

Chee cheong fun with prawns. Authentic cantonese style. Super thin, super smooth and super bouncy. You don't even get this texture in Singapore, ironically an Asian country.

Have to digress a bit here. Being a food lover, I really have to say this. Singapore's food can NEVER be compared to Malysian food. Of course, I mean the asian food. The chicken rice, laksa, hokkien mee, bak kut teh, EVERYTHING. Please don't disgrace yourself by saying Singapore's the best 'cos obviously you haven't tried better. *winks*

Pork and yam thingy. Deep fried to perfection. Those frills just MELT in your mouth. The yam+pork. Oh man, beats Uncle Billy's yammy duck ANYTIME.

Har gow. Not a big fan of it. Only ordered on impulse heh. I have to say. THE PRAWNS WERE SO HUGE. Nice skin too.

THIS, however, loses to Liu Fu's. Deep fried squid tentacles. It's still good, though, the spice and everything. There's just this thing missing and I don't know what it is.

Oooh. Here comes the classic. Mummy can never leave a dim sum place without having tried their egg tarts. Puff pastry was good and flaky. That's not the point 'cos I can get them anywhere from any supermarket but THE EGG CUSTARD. FWAH! Shoot through the roof.

THIS is my #2 all time favourite. A must-have at every dim sum place. Sesame ball. The ones at Kongs? With mung bean filling? Nah. Nothing. This is authentic. Stephanie Toh told me the original one had no filling at all. This one has lotus paste so I don't know if it's the original one. But still. Way better then Kongs'.

I have to emphasize on how good these sesame balls were. They appeared rock-hard. Can't even poke through using our chopsticks! But once you bite into it, oh man. Heaven breaks lose. It becomes so nice and chewy and ooooh you just gotta try it.

Red bean pancake. Was a bit of a disappointment. This is actually my #1 must have in any restaurant if they have it and it's my favourite red bean dish every. This, however, is not the traditional one. What's with the ice cream and chocolate sauce man. I didn't even touch the chocolate sauce. This disappointment sent Mummy and I into a huge traditional red bean pancake hunt in the oriental stores in Northbridge.

Honeydew sago! Yumyumyum. I never end any dim sum session without this. Feels like it washes away all the other dishes in my tummy. Oh so good. Oh and if you know how I drink my bubble tea, you'll know why there's the picture of the sago. Hehe.



After lunch, we drove over to the butchers area. Got free parking! Went to Emma's. Once I got in I searched high and low for gochujang 'cos I finally found a recipe to make a dish I've been DYING to make since I don't know when. Will blog if I successfully cook that dish.

Anyways. I found it! Was super duper happy. Also bought siao man tous (those that babies eat), and japanese red bean pan cake (not the shanghai one but it's ok 'cos I've got a craving for that too). Ohoh and two sweet plain rice dumplings, and some dessert mix. Couldn't find chocolate marshmallows =(.

Mummy went to the butchers to get minced pork (we're gonna try making the shanghai zha jiang mian one day), pork for char siew and pumpkin rice, and beef. Then we went over to another oriental store (VHT) and searched high and low for red bean pancake and we found it! You should have seen Mummy's reaction when she saw it. Priceless.

Bumped into Jay at VHT haha. Same usual funy guy.

Couldn't find yam paste with gingko nuts =(. Will still be on the search. Oh and I bought another normal pork dumpling with yolk. I love my dumplings with yolk =).



There's my day today. Good way of reliefing the whole week of stress. Introduction to Finance (ITF) is finally over, so is Microecons. Down to Business Statistics (next Monday) and Management Accounting (next Tuesday). Alright, I'll make things easier and do up a timetable here.

14/06 9am ECON1101-Microeconomics: Prices and Markets [over]
16/06 9am FINA2221-Introduction to Finance [over]
23/06 9am STAT1520-Economic and Business Statistics
24/06 2pm ACCT1112-Management Accounting

Naturally, these come with a prayer request. Those that are over, I pray for favour in the marker and that the computers will screw up some how and mark all my MCQ answers to be 100% ^^. Those that are not over, just the usual requests.

Alrighty I'm off. Didn't get a good sleep the previous night. Barely 4 hours of sleep.



signing off~DE XIN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just you and your Mum ate all of that? super geng-ness man...

Go Malaysian Go!!! (while running away from his country and yelling overseas in Australia )

I'm a super big fan of har gao!!!! omgosh!! man.!! dimsum!!! You remind me that I havent eat any since I arrived perth!!!

Maybe holiday will go....gg

De Xin said...

I'm super big fan of char siew sou/pau!!!!! And sesame ball and honeydew sago and red bean pancake. And. -prepare for the best-

XIAO LONG BAO!!!!!