Saturday 24 January 2009

BUSY AR!

REALLY! I woke up at a wicked hour (and a half) of 6.30am. When was the last time I did that...hmmm...oh. My Shanghai trip. ANYWAYS! Yah, went to the market with the parents and realised it was actually a good place to try out photography. Loads of interesting stuff going on. I went through the interesting stuff, like, pushing the trolley and receiving stares from aunties who do not look at where they're going and knock into your (Mummy's) trolley. It was more of a mental battle for me. Really. Was. Quite. PISSED. Not forgetting an old auntie who was behind me shouting "SIO AR SIO AR" (HOT AR HOT AR) when all she was carrying were two plastic bags full of vegetables.

Maybe if you cooked your vegetables on the spot then I'll believe you're carrying something hot and make way for you. If not, DREAM ON.

Don't know if it's just me or what but I realised each time I come back from Perth, Singaporeans seem to have gone ruder and ruder and RUDER. But I still like it here lah. BBQ stingray, rojak, prawn mee, stuff that don't come in pastes at Emma's Seafood. Family. Friends. Gah. It's just so much better here. Seriously. Honestly.

Ok I wasn't meant to complain (like a typical Singaporean) so much in this post (but seriously, looking at the rate Singapore is importing so many China people, I think true blue Singaporeans will be extinct in the next decade or so). I was supposed to be blogging about MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT KAYAKING AND SALSA!

Oh yeah. Thursday. 22nd January 2009. Elena was having her off day so she asked a few of us out and it turned out to be kayaking and I reluctantly agreed because I had never kayaked before. On the way there and walking towards the kayak rental shop, I kept going on about how I can just sun tan on the beach myself. I even said that when Elena had the shock of her life (I think) when she found out the rates were S$25/hr (single) and S$35/hr (double), compared to the S$6/hr she paid about 6 years back.

But anyways. Nelson and Timothy (I only got to know him on that day) came along and we got two double kayaks. Elena and I, Nelson and Timothy. I'd have to say they had some fun splashing water at me =_=. BUT it was fun kayaking. Sun wasn't strong enough for a good tan but it was fun still! Especially the part when the wind was blowing against us and the boys have reached the shore but Elena and I were still struggling to paddle against the wind.

Had dinner at Changi Village (right...?). Shared rojak, BBQ stingray, BBQ chicken wings with Elena. I. Was. Exploding.

Big time.

But all's good when we went over to the salsa club at Amara Hotel (kudos to Nelson for driving us to Tanjong Pagar MRT =]). A few guys asked Elena and I to dance but both of us never learnt salsa before. Especially this guy (whom I believe to be in his late 20s).

Guy: *extends hand, initiating a dance*
Me: "Uuuuh, I don't know how to dance salsa."
Guy: "You're just brushing me off!"
Me: "No I really don't know how to! I've never learnt it before!"

And he walks away disappointed. Seconds later this other guy (probably mid-30s?) asked me for a dance and again, I told him I didn't know how to. He very kindly offered to TEACH me. So as I went up with him, the late 20s guy gave me the I-thought-you-said-you-don't-know-how-to-dance look. MAN.

A few songs later, the late 20s guy came up to Elena and asked her for a dance. Elena told him the same thing.

Guy: "You girls are from the same planet!"
Elena: "No, really!"
Guy: "That's why my mum told me never to trust girls."

OH-KAY. Turn off. BIG turn off. Guys should NEVER use their mums as pick-up lines. Unless they can pull it off but that's very rare. But yah, Elena gave him a try and she said he was very agressive. Good thing I didn't dance with him.

I learnt quite a bit from the mid-30s guy. He was really patient! I obviously couldn't pick up everything at one shot (like the turn and the dancing side-to-side part) but he kept making me try till I got it. Maaan, he teaches me how to dance just like how my uncle (Mummy's youngest brother) teaches me how to cook.

WAIT! I FORGOT TO MENTION! I BUMPED INTO GENEVIEVE AND MARK AT THE SALSA CLUB! Actually before we went I was hoping I'd bump into them but, aiya, I told myself not to think too much. AND I REALLY BUMPED INTO THEM! Gen taught me the very basics of salsa too. Like the stepping (totally idiot-proof if you don't screw up your ankle) and changing of places. OHOH and she danced with the late 20s guy and she said she felt like she was a rag being thrown around the floor. Tsktsktsk.

So the four of us left the club at about 11? Rushed for the 2nd or 3rd last train. They took the train travelling towards the west. I took the train travelling to the east, back to Kembangan. Haha what a blast hey. And I remember Pastor Joyce's question.

When was the last time you learnt something new?

Doesn't have to be stuff like what I did. Can be biblical? Or something you learnt about someone? As long as you learnt something. =)

Anyways, before I go off, here's something from Arcamax again.
I thought this was REALLY funny. HAH!

signing off~DE XIN

No comments: